Posted on 26.08.2014 / by Delatour
sweet shortcrust pastry. See Marmurat Tart
apricot or strawberry jam
1 egg beaten
- Prepare the pastry.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry thinly and line a 24cm diameter non-stick baking dish with it. If possible use a loose bottomed tin. This will make it easier to remove the cooked tart. If you will be using baking paper, it will be easier if before lining the tin you wet it slightly.
- Press it lightly and firmly all over the base and sides of the tin, easing any overlapping pastry back down the sides, as it is important not to stretch this bit too much.
- Trim the edges but leaving a small edge of pastry sticking over the edge of the flan dish to allow for shrinkage in the oven.
- Prick the pastry a few times with a fork on the bottom and sides.
- Preheat the oven Gas Mark 4/1800C.
- Spread some jam on the bottom. Do not put too much jam, because during baking it will start bubbling and it might overflow and burn.
- Moisten the edges of the pastry with a little water. Cut the remaining pastry in strips and form a grid with them. Trim the edges of the tart.
- Brush the pastry strips with beaten egg and bake for around 40 minutes in the preheated oven, till the pastry becomes a golden colour.
- IMPORTANT: Leave to cool before eating – the jam gets VERY hot.